Twitter is the new cool thing. You can waste hours on it, or you can use it productively. Personally I like to use it as another way for clients to keep their site updated and fresh. This will help their customers see that there is a real person behind the company. But for it to be really visible you need to integrate Twitter into your WordPress blog. Luckily we have a plugin for this.
- Setup a Twitter Account. You can visit twitter.com to signup for an account.
- Download Twitter Tools. Twitter Tools is the plugin from Alex King, that we will be using to pull twitter feeds into your blog. Download Here.
- Unzip Files and Upload to Your Plugin Folder. If you are running a WordPress blog you should know how to do this. Pretty standard stuff. Now activate the plugin.
- Configure Settings. In your WordPress back-end go to Settings > Twitter Tools (make sure you activated the plugin first). Here you will need to enter your twitter login information. There are also a lot of other settings you can configure here. Personally I just want it to display, not create blog posts or anything like that. Configure to your hearts content.
- Displaying Your Tweets. If you want to display a list of Tweets (number configured in the settings page) then use this code:
Now if you are just looking to display one tweet use this code:
- Enjoy! That’s all there is to it! You may want to change the settings some, as well as design some cool way for your tweet to display (default styling is lame!). Also check out J. Alexander Fine Woodworking for an example of Twitter in use on a blog.